Here at Health Hut we're really excited about natural deodorants (that really work) here's our guide to finding the best one for your pits.
It's no secret that we sweat (some of us a little more than others) which is amazing because that's what our bodies are designed to do - keep us cool on hot days and rid our bodies of harmful elements.
Here are some reasons why you may be thinking about making the switch to a natural deodorant:
- traditional antiperspirants with aluminum temporarily clog your pores, you can expect to stay dry, but all those things your body wants to get rid of stay inside :/
- aluminum (and other chemicals) can mix with your natural body odour making your sweat a little more funky than it really is
- traditional deodorants work by creating an acidic environment under your pits so bacteria (the good + the smelly) can't grow and live happy little lives
Natural deodorants work similarly to traditional deodorants - they let you sweat and make you smell better. AND they use ingredients that are supportive to the body. Win-win-win.
A PERIOD OF GRACE
When making the switch to natural deodorant you'll want to give your body some time to adjust, after all, we're working with many complex living organisms. This can be anywhere from a few days to many weeks. Hang in there, because natural deodorants really do work and just like anything else, you may need to try a couple to find your perfect match. Ultimately, it will be worth it!
Give yourself some grace, especially if you've been using an antiperspirant, as there will be a built-up of chemicals stored in the sweat glands. You can expect a bit of a smelly period as these are finally released from the body.
During this period, drink lots of water as this helps to flush things out. Wash those pits daily with Sssoaps Batch 093. Try letting the soap sit a little longer - like a charcoal mask for your armpits.
BAKING SODA - YAY OR NAY?
Here are the pros of baking soda:
- it's 100% natural
- creates an alkaline environment to keep smelly bacteria at bay
- it works!
Here are the cons:
- the alkaline environment can be too harsh for those with sensitive skin and may cause irritation or a rash
- it's quite abrasive and may leave skin dry and raw
DEODORANT ROUND UP
Pick up a stick of Salt & Stone to bathe your pits with probiotics (this encourages the good bacteria to naturally prosper, leaving you - almost - odourless), seaweed extracts and hyaluronic acid (to moisturize).
Corpus uses plant-based enzymes and diatomaceous earth to care for those with sensitive skin. If you're looking for a refined and complex scent profile you'll want to pick up one of these minty green sticks in sustainably considered packaging.
Long-time natural deodorant lovers, these are for you. A fun and playful alternative to the pit stick is Living Libation's Poetic Pits. These ultra-rich mini rollers are pure essential oils. Yes, they're a personal scent in disguise as a deodorant. And yes, all your friends will want to smell just like you. Those who use, are obsessed.