10 Simple Swaps and Tips for an Eco-Friendly Bathroom
Bath and shower routines are notorious for producing lots of waste, with many disposable options, big plastic containers, and single-use products. Unfortunately, not only is this waste filling up our bathroom bins, but it is also having a big impact on our environment.
At Health Hut, we are all about finding natural alternatives and curating products with your well-being and the well-being of our planet in mind. So, we set out to find great natural and eco-friendly alternatives for your bathroom. The great news? The brands we are partnering with are creating amazing waste-free options such as shampoo bars, and biodegradable packaging!
Without further ado, here are our 10 Simple Swaps and Tips for an Eco Friendly Bathroom. We know you'll love these products, and our planet will love them too!
1. Upgrade to a bamboo toothbrush
It is recommended to change your toothbrush every 3-4 months, but unfortunately, conventional plastic toothbrushes are not recyclable in most settings.
Keep your teeth and our planet clean with a bamboo toothbrush like our very own Health Hut toothbrush! Not only will the activated charcoal bristles keep your pearly whites extra clean, but the naturally antibacterial bamboo handle is also fully biodegradable.
Once you're ready to replace, remove the nylon bristles and dispose of them in the recycling and put the bamboo handle in the green bin.
2. Swap out your disposable razor
Say no more to disposable razors and keep your skin extra smooth with a reusable razor like our new favourite Well Kept Safety Razor. This plastic-free razor will look extra chic in your bathroom and once you're ready to replace you'll only have to change out the single blade.
If you're not convinced yet, these razors can be used with a shave oil to help you shave and moisturize at the same time, and in the long-run, they are more cost-effective!
3. Scrub a dub with a soap bar instead of a liquid wash
This might be an obvious swap and you might be thinking soap bars are a touch boring, but the Woodlot Soap bars are far from that!
These handmade salt and clay bars are blended with beautiful ethically sourced salts and nourishing clays, and they come in six amazing essential oil scents to choose from. Spoil yourself in the shower!
4. Stay fresh with eco-friendly deodorant options
We get it, we all want to stay fresh, which is why we've curated a collection of the most effective all-natural deodorants we have found! All of our deodorants have been tried and tested, but here are a few of our favourite options that are also in amazing plastic-free and reusable packaging:
- Meow Meow Tweet Deodorant Cream and a Baking-Soda Free option for sensitive skin.
- Living Libations Rose Glow Cream Deodorant
- Soapwalla Deodorant
5. Look into shampoo bars - we sure love them!
We are loving the Meow Meow Tweet Shampoo Bars in Lavender & Coconut and Avocado & Rosemary. Not only do these bars smell amazing, and leave your hair feeling nourished, shiny and soft, but they will also help you lessen your carbon footprint.
The best part is you can lather your hair and body, making these bars a go-to all-in-one product you are sure to love!
6. Ditch the plastic brushes and poufs
It's easy to say no to plastic when you have great biodegradable options like these to choose from!
- BKIND Wooden Hair Brush - This environmentally friendly hairbrush is made out of wood! The natural wooden bristles help to naturally condition your hair, and evenly distribute your hair’s natural oils down the hair shaft. The wooden bristles are also gentle and durable. Since they are wide, they are less likely to break the hair when combing.
- BKIND Pumice Brush - A great tool for exfoliating your feet and skin! The pumice stone is made from molten volcanic rock, the handle is made of bamboo and the brush bristles are recyclable once you're ready to dispose of the brush!
- Konjac Sponges - Made of 100% Konjac plant root and mild French pink clay, this sponge is the perfect tool to cleanse and gently regenerate and restore softness to the skin. The Konjac sponge is safe to use on the face and body and is a great alternative to conventional shower poufs.
7. Get green with your oral care!
We love companies that are thinking outside the box and creating great products in alternative packaging!
One of our go-to toothpaste is David's Premium Natural Toothpaste, which is made using the highest quality natural ingredients to safely and effectively whiten teeth, fight plaque, and freshen breath. Best part? It comes in a recyclable metal tube and includes a metal key to help you get every last drop out of the package!
We love Living Libations Activated Charcoal Toothpaste when we want our pearly whites to get extra bright!
You shouldn't skip flossing, and with Smart Floss, you won't want to! Smart Floss is not only more effective, but it is lined with natural wax, and the packaging is fully biodegradable!
8. Relax and recharge with eco-friendly scrubs and soaks
Self-care is important, and we know some days just call for a relaxing bath.
In the mood for a soak? Try Artifact's Mer Mer Manoi Sea Potion. This magical potion is an aromatic blend of Himalayan pink salt, Sea salt, Epsom salt with Monoï essence. It helps to calm your senses, reduce stiffness and balances the skin’s moisture content. Once you're done, reuse the package!
9. Say no to sheet masks and opt-in for one of these masks instead!
Who doesn't love a good mask night? Sheet masks are all the rage right now but their one-time use means extra waste is going to our landfills. Instead, treat yourself to one of these awesome alternatives, all multi-use and in reusable packaging!
10. Keep the clean green
When it's time to clean up, keep it all green! We love that Sapadilla's line of cleaning products are all plant-based and biodegradable, and smell great.